Friday, March 31, 2017

S1 Episode 9

Nigel and I became really close, often finding ourselves in each others company. Samantha said our friendship was kind of surprising as Nigel was a bit of a loner. But any chance we got to hangout we did. 


Our friendship did not go unnoticed to anyone. Rupert especially didn't understand it.

"How does a loner like Nigel land a babe like you?" he remarked.

I rolled my eyes, "Maybe because he's not a complete unflirty, wannabe like you."

"But you never even gave me a chance." Rupert moped away.


I felt a little bad for poor Rupert. His dad was a pretty popular bachelor. One of those playboy types. But also a great business man and speaker. So he was constantly disappointed in his son's social ineptness.

Sophia was similar. Came from a very public family, but was "plagued", as she put it, with no desire to be the outspoken, career chaser that was expected. She kept to herself and her books. She often studied with Mr. Thomas.

So here we were, the family misfits and outcast. Trying to learn a set of skills that we could take with us when we inevitably were forced back to the real world.

But until then, we were also just a bunch of crazy kids. We snuck out some nights to go to the only interesting public place in Newcrest. A converted boat that was now a seafood restaurant with a bar/dance area on the top deck.

It was usually my idea, the bad influence I was, and Samantha and Nigel always joined. We danced the night away. It was on that dance floor that Nigel and I had our first kiss. 

I was quite surprised I had not kissed anyone till now. In fact, I hadn't even been in love before. But this felt so right.


Thomas did catch on to us early on. He reprimanded us, but was understanding of our shenanigans.

"Maybe, we should add some more social fun for you students?" Thomas considered, "I know it's no fun being stuck at school all throughout the week."


So he reached out to our closest neighbors. It was an older couple. They agreed to let us come over for bar-b-q and a to hangout whenever. We usually studied before eating, and afterwards helped around their house, keeping the yard clean.


Life in Newcrest was shaping up to not be so bad. I finally felt like I was connecting with others and myself. I was ready to see what would come of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment